Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bye to Samsung Jack after 2 years.


It is really funny how I bought this handset, Samsung Jack. I initially bought Motorola RAZR2.

It was supposedly a high end phone 2 years ago and came with a context sensitive touchscreen. No the whole screen is touchscreen, but calls can be taken using the outside display. I tested it for 2 weeks, but didn't like it. Volume for music was too low. I was not able to hear anything when riding Calgary Transit. The interface was bad. It was not a smartphone. I couldn't install any apps.


Then the idea of smartphone crossed my mind. Fido as usual sucks wrt phone selection (even now they do). They had only Motorola Q9H or Samsung Jack. Motorola Q9H was not available anywhere (Fido online or Fido store). They were probably phasing out that phone. I think Sony Experia was coming at that time. That phone was highly anticipated at that time, as I read from various forums. Remember there were no Android fanboys then (well Android must've been there, but it was not popular the way it's now). Anyways, Jack was my last choice, since it looked like a brick for me.



I got it and tested for some time. That was my first smart phone. I installed some apps like CorePlayer. I installed Garmin mobile, it was a huge learning experience installing something like that. I used it as my first GPS. Getting the satellite takes painfully long, but once there, it will serve you nicely. We roamed around the whole of Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City with that GPS. It served my nicely. My wife always disliked the Jack because it lacked those aesthetics to attract females. And I always used to poke here saying that her Nokia N70 is not smart enough :). Actually it's a really nice looking phone.


Then other thing I like about Samsung Jack is the address book. It is simply the best I have ever used. Just type in the first or last name or number or anything on its QWERTY keyboard, contact will show up (I hate my Vivaz pro's contact manager, how many clicks to get the right contact, it's painful). Anyways, Samsung Jack, you did a good job. I am not sure what I will do with it. But most probably I will give it to somebody back in India.

No comments: